Command output is unreadable

This forum is for general discussions about bugs. Actual bugs should be reported to the bug tracker to allow them to be properly processed and followed up.

Command output is unreadable

Postby Maxi » Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:02 am

I'm getting a bunch of Chinese characters as output of "ping cnn.com" and most of other command line apps i run: ഍倊湩楧杮挠湮挮浯嬠㐶㈮㘳ㄮ⸶㐸⁝ ...
Although "dir" works fine.. is there any way to set the font to mono space Courier?

I think those who'd use muCommander are often use command line, so I guess a superb cmd should be muCommander's key feature.

Maxim.
Maxi

Postby Nicolas » Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:54 pm

!@#

You're absolutely right. This problem is known and I thought I had fixed it. I'll look into it, and I can hopefully fix this today. Thanks for letting me now, this completly escaped my notice!

Nicolas
Nicolas

Postby Maxi » Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:18 am

Nicolas, how can I find that a fixed version is available? Will there be a new beta released or can you just signal in this thread?
Maxi

Postby Nicolas » Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:27 am

Hey mate,

I'm afraid I won't be able to fix that bug just now - I'm flying off to Japan on hollidays for one week, and I doubt I'll be able to do any coding over there.

In the meantime, you can sort of fix it yourself, even though it's not entirely satisfactory:
- open the preferences, click on the misc tab, select 'use custom shell' and put in 'cmd /c'
- close muCommander, go and open your preferences.xml file (check this thread out for how to locate it: http://www.mucommander.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=443).
- locate the bit that says <encoding>UTF-16LE</encoding> and replace it by <encoding>windows-1252</encoding>
- save, close, restart muCommander

It should work fine, except for accentuated characters which are going to be a bit messed up.

That's obviously only a temporary fix, and I'll work on getting muCommander to use the system's encoding. It's surprisingly harder than it looks, but I think Maxence and I came up with something that might work.

Cheers,
Nicolas
Nicolas

Postby Maxi » Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:31 pm

Thanks, mate :) have fun in Japan!
Maxi

Postby Nicolas » Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:49 pm

Hey there,

I've implemented a temporary fix - everything seems to work fine, but for some strange reason, the 'dir' command gets confused when outputing accentuated characters. Other tools work just fine though. Very confusing.

Anyway, you can grab the fixed version on the homepage starting saturday, just get the latest nightly build.

Cheers,
Nicolas
Nicolas

Postby Maxi » Sat Apr 21, 2007 2:48 am

Awesome!!! Thanks!! Seems today is the day when good old Far manager is going to retire, at last :)
Maxi

Postby Nicolas » Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:05 pm

Just for the record, this feature just got better: if you grab the latest nightly build, you'll find a new combo box in the "Misc." preferences panel: Shell encoding. This lists all the encoding available to Java on your computer.
The really nifty bit is that first element in that list: Auto-detect. That's right, muCommander now has some fairly robust encoding detection capacities! :)

Nicolas
Nicolas

Postby Thinkpositiv » Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:23 am

Hi,

I've had the same problem and with the actual release version 0.8.1 (newest via Java WebStart) I can fix this problem (regardless of the encoding!) if I use "cmd /c" instead of "cmd /U /c". Using XP pro SP2.

regards,
Thinkpositiv

by the way: I found muCommander because it was mentioned in the PC magazine -> c't, which is one of germanys most popular ones (About 350k exemplars are sold every two weeks; estimated 1million readers)!
Thinkpositiv

Postby Nicolas » Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:17 am

Agh, I was sure I had corrected that at least two versions ago. Thanks for pointing it out, I'll disable the /U option straight away.

Nicolas
Nicolas

Return to Bugs